Monday, October 11, 2004

Iraqis Want U.S. Out of Green Zone

I can't be certain, but I believe this to be the only area currently controlled by the US military. Now, Iraqis, the people we are supposedly defending, want us to leave, and give them their homes and land back. When I was stationed in Korea, the Korean college students would regularly protest our presence, demanding their land back. I used to laugh at them because if the US left, Kim Jong Il would certainly invade. No question about it, but I can see how the average citizen over there would be complacent with the apparent peace. This situation in Iraq is drastically different though. The danger in Iraq is tangible. We're not guarding against a distant, perhaps even mythical foe. The people can look around and see the effects of US presence, and they still want us to leave.
"We want and demand that the Americans evacuate the Green Zone because it contains Iraqi state and private properties," Baghdad Gov. Ali al-Haidari told The Associated Press. "We believe that Iraqi authorities should regain control of this area."
Seems pretty telling to me.